A dozen DONE!


Each week I like to share a song that has moved me and this afternoon as we were listening to a playlist on my phone, this one came on.  Phil Wickman’s “You’re Beautiful” is one of my favs.  The lyrics are simple and truly praise
God’s name.  He is beautiful and so is His plan.  

Today’s treatment was to be short and sweet with no doctor 
or physican assistant visit due to the holidays.  We ate a nice, relaxing lunch since I didn’t have school, grabbed donuts for the nursing staff, and then headed to the hospital.  

We sat down and I immediately remembered that I did not put my lidocaine cream on my port site for numbing as it is accessed.  I threw a big old blob on the port site but was too late.  20 minutes just doesn’t do the trick.  It takes a full hour to numb and I could’ve cried and the injection hurt.  I learned my lesson and will never forget to apply it again.  I had it in my purse and all to put it on at lunch and just forgot.  I also forgot to take my steroids yesterday morning and had to adjust the timing of those all day yesterday.  My brain just doesn’t do its  job sometimes and that’s hard to accept.  J does such a good job reminding me of lots of things in such suttle, sweet ways but I still have “chemo brain” and let me say that it is NO JOKE!  Soooooo, the port being accessed was painful, but the blood collection went well (thank the Lord), my platelet count was awesome, and we were set for chemo #12.  Straight back we went to a tv room for my guys to watch a little Miami vs. Pitt football game.  What a win for Pitt!  This Clemson fan was a little happy to see the outcome of that one as we play them soon. Now let’s just hope they don’t come after us harder than ever in the ACC championship.  I usually chose a window room, but with good college football on, how could I not let my guys watch a good game as they are so sweet to sit with me each week.  
Recently St. Francis received the first grant in the state with Angie’s Spa Cancer Foundation to help cancer patients reduce side effects going through chemo. One of the therapist that I adore asked me a few weeks ago if I would be willing to share my testimony and how the massages offered have helped me while undergoing therapy.  

I of course say yes and so today was the day when they came and took some videos/pics.  I did remember to paint my toenails (thanks to one of J’s sweet notes) but I had my dad run my wig to the wig store so they could wash/style it for me with the long weekend and it takes a little time. Let’s just say it needed some “umph” put back in it.. So today I just threw on another wig a friend so graciously let me borrow, and a ball cap.  I totally thought they’d just filming my feet as the massage was being given, right.  Nah!  It was a real live video recording of me speaking.  Oh well... Real life, right?  God doesn’t care how you look if you are praising His name on a regular day or during a storm?  The massages have been amazing and there’s not been a single week that they’ve not come by and given my feet a little love.  Both therapists, Lynne and Lucy have been awesome.  And since no manicures or pedicure are allowed, due to infection, these are super close to the relaxation aspect.  Thank you for this treat, y’all!  
As I was sharing my testimony, my chemo nurse was listening in and came over afterwards and said to me  “I heard you say that you believe in our Lord and Savior”.  She was my nurse last week and today and she said she firmly believed that God made that happen.  She then asked if she could pray with us.  See, she’s part of the the puzzle that God is putting together.  He placed her there both Fridays to take good care of me and help run the medicines as to heal my body.  I cried like a baby when she walked out, as the blessings just keep coming.  My friend Brooke and her daughter Kennedy brought me the biggest, most delicious milkshake, some adorable clothes, and lots of love, and then my sweet mother in law came and helped us wrap up this treatment.  In awe is how I feel on most of days. Seriously.  Your meals, calls, cards, etc.  They leave us speechless and help so much.  God commands us to be still and He tell us that He will fight for you.  Being still is not something I do well but on Fridays at the Cancer Center, I have to be.  I feel his presence in that building, in the waiting room, in the labs, in the cancer pod, in my cubicle, holding me in the chair.  It’s a wonderful, all consuming feeling.  So know that as I’m being still, I read your texts and messages and they all make me smile and cry some too.  I am changed forever, as this journey will always be a part of my life.  After being done with a DOZEN, I can honestly say that four more is doable and within reach.  In reach by God’s amazing grace and the constant assurance of His goodness.  





Here’s an amazing blog from Proverbs 31 that my cousin sent me today.  With Thanksgiving just yesterday, it was just what I needed this morning as I woke up.  Read it when you get a chance.  It made me more thankful for ALL things, and not just on Thanksgiving Day.  


“Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18


signature

No comments

Back to Top