The White Flag



Last Monday night, a precious former student of mine organized a “go-kart race” fundraiser to help our family during this time.  I remember sweet Will vividly in my class about 10 years ago.  He was such a hard worker then and to see him now, helping others in such a kind way as a senior in high school, truly warms my heart.  The best part about that night was when everyone was loaded in their karts,  except for me as I was just going to watch and cheer from the side, he came over and said, “can I take you for a ride, Mrs. Gault?”  He assured me that he would go slow and be safe.  That right there says it all.  The compassion for others at such a young age is hard to find.  And he truly has it.  He did just as he said, slow and safe.  Afterwards, he gave the leftover token cards to Jett so that he could have some fun around the arcade.  Talk about a happy boy?  Our best little friend, Carter, helped him play lots of games and together they won the cutest tigers.  It was such a fun night with friends, family, and students from years past and present. 



So speaking of racing, I guess I could’ve waved a white flag today when I walked in the Cancer Center, as they wave it for the next to last lap at a race. My daddy has always been a huge race fan and I loved it as a kid.  I remember him picking me up from school early to go meet Bobby Allison at the Summerville Motor Speedway.  I was a Davey Allison fan, as was my dad, and so meeting his dad was pretty cool.  I think part of my love for him was his race car was my lucky number (28) and he was pretty cute.  I’ll never forget when Davey died.  I remember where I was when my mom told me the news.  I remember the craziest things sometimes.  I even had the air brushed tshirt with his name and picture that I got on a trip to the Charlotte Motor Speedway.  He was the next upcoming star of NASCAR.  


I’ll always remember spending many Sunday afternoons on our trips home from visiting family here in Simpsonville, back to Summerville, where we lived growing up, listening to the race.  Loud!  My dad had hearing loss and before he got hearing aids, the radio was jacked up.  It didn’t bother me.  I think I slept majority of the trip, but my daddy loved it, and so did I.  Racing isn’t my favorite thing now.  I love to see the wives and children kiss their driver before the race starts and I like to see them start and finish.  I don’t have a favorite driver really but this childhood memory will forever stick with me and I was super excited to take that next to last lap today, killing this “cactus” that pricked me.  
The best part of today’s trip was passing out Christmas goodies to all of the staff at the hospital.  Simple, homemade treats that my sweet momma helped me make,  made them smile really big.  Paper product bundles also won their hearts.  They’ve been so kind along this journey, that I wanted to thank them for their hardwork and compassion for others that are going through big battles each day.  

I saw my oncologist, Dr. Dyar today for the last time until after surgery.  He’s been awesome and I truly thank God for the doctors in the world who take such good care of their patients.  He and his nurses are one in a million in my eyes.   I’m grateful for the knowledge they all have to help cure those with cancer.  
So now for the final infusion. #16! Next Friday!  Woohoo!  Hallelujah!  Praise the Lord!  I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am to take that last round of poison.  I’ve taken the stairs at the center almost every single time.  My parents enjoy the elevator, so I ride that with them
some too.  But next week, it’ll be the stairs going up
and coming down for us all!   Whoever my nurse is...bless her!  I’m going to try super hard to stay calm and not do a little happy dance while this one takes place.  Slow and steady has been our motto since the scary reactions at the beginning of the Taxol rounds and I want a safe infusion next week again for sure.  But!  I want that poison to go in that one last time a little slower to KILL every single morsel of Cancer it can find.  And when it’s over, I’ll be so excited to love on my tribe of people who have loved me through this.  I’m ready to feel good ALL the time and resume with life, one healthy, cancer free girl.  So join us next Friday around 11ish.  We will gather around the statue of our Savior to sing Christmas carols, ring jingle bells, visit with Santa and ride his sleigh, and celebrate the gift of life.  I’ll be the one in the Santa hat cheering “Ho Ho Ho...no “mo” chemo!”  I’ll also be the one in tears praising Jesus for being so much more than a hero.  So as we reflect on Christmas time and His arrival, many thought that the Messiah would come as a political or military hero, but instead He came as a precious baby boy.  He was sent here to bring God’s light into the darkness and to give His  life so that others could receive him.  What a gift!  I pray that if you don’t know him, seek Him.  
Read His word.  Lean on the promises.  And know that He loves you.  He is good.  He is powerful like a Hero.  Being on that race track the other night helped me see that life is like a race, fast paced and full of curves. Crossing the finish line is a wonderful feeling.  I’m crossing that line soon..and I plan on doing that a little slower and embracing each moment to the fullest.  Do that this Christmas season too and remember the reason we celebrate. Life’s a big, big gift.  Unwrap it and give God all the glory.   Love to all!  


Upcoming prayer requests: 
MRI on Dec. 28 to see how tumor has shrunk...I cannot feel anything as of now.  Yippee!
Surgeon visit on Jan. 2 to schedule double mastectomy 
Prayers for these last 3 days at school with excited children ready for Christmas
Prayers we all stay healthy over the holidays 
Prayers for all those struggling with sickness and heartache 

“We have seen his glory, the one and only son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.”  John 1:14







signature

1 comment

  1. Dear Kristen-
    Thinking of you, praying for you and your family, and being happy for you as you get ready for your last treatment! Wishing all of you peace, health and happiness in 2018. Thank you for sharing this part of your journey with us- with your remarkable grace, humor, and honesty. Enjoy Christmas with your beautiful boy- they grow up way too fast!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top