Hope



Hope is a word I strongly believe in.  
Webster’s definition is “a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.”
And I’ve felt a strong sense of hope during some very hopeless times.  
This verse helped me so much during the early days of my diagnosis.
  “Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put you hope in God, for I will praise Him, my savior and my God.”  Psalm 31:24 

I know that my future is ultimately in His hands and it will be better than the present that I’m living now.  

So when I learned about the Chapel of Hope in Asheville, through a dear family friend, I knew that a trip must be made.  And what better time than during my birthday week.  

The Chapel of Hope was built in 1991
by the Barutio family, after Mrs. Barutio miraculously recovered from cancer. It only measures 12x14 feet, seats 8 at a time, and has four pews.  







As we pulled up, the silence and trickle of the nearby creek was the calmest sound you’ve ever heard.  Jett was super inquisitive and walked in the chapel, asking “is anybody here?”  I asked him if he wanted to
pray and he knelt down immediately, horses and all from the nearby general store.


  My dad then took him to
see the creek so that my mom and I could have some
quiet time together in this precious chapel.  We left a prayer cactus, a list of prayer concerns, and a little piece of our heart.  I hit my knees and thanked Him for his promise of eternal life and His faithfulness through this hard time in my life.  I prayed for many that are sick, those who have lost loved ones recently, and many who are battling situations in their lives.  



As we left the beautiful chapel, a sweet couple was waiting to enter.  They had both lost their spouses and remarried ten years ago and were renewing their vows.  


Being from South Carolina as well, they also shared my parents’ anniversary.  Talk about the hand of God being in this little adventure.  



As we pulled away, my dad reached over to show me that he left his “Prayers for Kristen” bracelet that he’s worn since right after I was diagnosed at the alter.  God blessed me with the best parents that have stood beside me daily.  

This time was so ever so special, the day before my 38th birthday.  A gorgeous sunny day with mild temperatures, in the prettiest setting, with the Holy Spirit ever so present.  It  made for  a perfect pre-birthday trip.

Knowing that He is in control, that He knows everything about us all, and that He will never remove His hand from us, in this chaotic world, leaves me with lots
of hope.  

And after visiting the Chapel of Hope today, my life is just a little sweeter, living in His peace.  

If you ever have a day that you’d like to make a road trip to Trust, North Carolina, go.  


It’s a nice drive up a very windy mountain, that leads you to a little “slice of Heaven”.  

“Hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.”  Romans 5:5



signature

No comments

Back to Top