At last!!!



Yesterday morning I woke up super emotional, as my last radiation would be finished within a few hours.  The reality of this being the last step in my journey to seal these cells from taking over any more of my body, had me in full on cry mode.  That was until Jett woke up, hugged my neck, and said “today is party day, right mommy?”  Our last link was waiting for us to cut after this treatment was complete!
And so that helped.  And a party it was.  



Stopping by to get a Starbucks treat for us both, eased the drive as we prayed and rocked out to some of my favorite worship songs.  Pulling into the parking lot at the Cancer Center, we were greeted by the sweetest fireman and his beautiful pink truck, covered with signatures from cancer survivors all over the upstate.  He told about his precious wife who has been fighting for 12 years with such pride in his voice.  We then were greeted by my parents,  my mother-in-law, my best friend, and some of my “breast” friends too.  



Jett helped me sign in this final time, and as I laid on the table for the final boost, what song came on but Etta James’ “At last”.  How appropriate, huh?  
At last the day was here that we’d been counting down to.  At last I could rest in the mornings and not have to run out the door to my appointment. 
 At last I could say that I’d fought the fight.  
At last I could Praise God for carrying me ALL the way throughout this journey.  
At last, I could walk away a survivor.  



Tons of hugs were given by my sweet treatment girls, and then the bell was rung!  Whew!  What a feeling.  And to see the smile on my little guy’s face, knowing his mommy was going to be okay, had my heart overflowing with happiness.



 We added our names to the truck, alongside many other warriors who have fought this disease.  









 A trip to the Waffle House was next in order and then I headed over to sit with a friend who was getting chemo.  She was so kind to come to my final radiation, so I wanted to be with her during her treatment. 


 Little did I know that it was her first treatment where she’d been by herself.  God made that happen.  Seeing my chemo nurses and Sister Dorothy just made the day perfect, as I’ll always have such sweet memories of them, starting the first step to killing the cancer that tried to kill me.  At last I could hug them and say that I felt good, and thank you again.  I left there and went and saw my friend who has just recently been diagnosed.  We chatted for a good while about her plan and I just know that she’s going to do great.  


And the evening ended with a fun modeling session at my sweet friend Sally’s boutique, Southern Girl Chic, on Woodruff.  I met Sally right before my surgery and she’s been so kind to check on me weekly, and then asked me to come model for her yesterday.  What a fun way to get all fixed up after quite a day, full of emotions and tears.  She had balloons and tons of confetti to help make the celebrating even more fun!  
So what’s next?   
That’s the question everyone asks! 
 I meet with my oncologist on Wednesday morning first thing and will begin taking an oral chemo called Xeloda.  It’ll be taken daily for two weeks, and then I’ll take a week off.  This regimen will continue for 6 months, ending in October.  I’ll then have a hysterectomy in December, and then I’ll go on Arimidex for five years.  
As much as I hoped that radiation was the end for me, there’s still a lot ahead.  
My friend Lauren sent me the best little devotional yesterday...”To praise or pout?”  The Bible story told was  when Paul and Silas were wrongfully accused and thrown in prison.  Though they had every reason to pout, and be angry about this terrible situation they were in, they chose to glorify God’s name by praying and singing hymns to the Lord, while the other prisoners were listening.  God shook the Earth and the chains loosened, freeing the prisoners. In fear, the jailer almost took his life, as he knew he’d be blamed for the prisoners escaping, but Paul stopped him, because he and Silas stayed.  And because of this, several of the guards and prisoners came to know Jesus. 
So remember that although we may not rejoice in every situation given to us, we are told to always rejoice in the Lord.  

 So as hard as these times may be, and as easy as it could be to pout and be angry, I choose to praise Him.
I choose to trust Him. 
 I choose to have hope.  
And at last, I choose to live every single day to the fullest.  

Thank you for all of your prayers, Facebook messages, texts, calls, and love.  Y’all have been such an awesome tribe and I’m forever grateful.  

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.”  James 1:2-3


signature

1 comment

Back to Top