Chemo #11


These song lyrics popped into my head this afternoon while waiting to see my oncologist and never left my brain while at the cancer center.  His presence was felt and my heart was filled immensely throughout chemo #11.  My platelet count was higher than it had ever been and how grateful was I to hear that news.  It seems like every single day kiddos are sick in my classroom or I hear about littles that have a bug in my Sunday school class or at Jett's school.  God has been so faithful in keeping my body well so that I can take the treatment each and every week.  And this week!  Whoa!  He showed out and prepared me well so that I could knock another one off the list! 
My sweet friend Brandi met me at the center so that we could love on one of our nurse navigators that was diagnosed just last month.  Sarah has worked with oncology patients for over 20 years, navigating them in the kindest way throughout the cancer journey.  And then bam.  She's diagnosed with BC, herself.  It's just crazy how so many people, right here in Greenville, SC, are hearing those words.."you have cancer."  Sarah's got a great attitude and we are proud to stand alongside her through every step of this battle. We had to get her a little something to hang on her door as she's fighting!  

The one Brandi gave me means so much and I never start my day without seeing it along with the precious messages written on the back from some of my dearest friends. 



Brandi is always just so thoughtful and today brought me the most adorable cuddle monster that you can heat in the microwave to take away those aches and pains I've been dealing with because of the Taxol.  I have a feeling a little fellow named Jett may claim him because he's so stinking cute.  When I lay down at night I usually have a heating pad or rice bag around my shoulders to help with the pain and that sweet boy always snuggles super close to feel the warmth.  And now he can share this little monster.  Now for the FIZZY bath bombs.  I'll hide them for and keep for myself.  

The last time I went for treatment they had a very hard time drawing blood so I was a little apprehensive about this.  But guess what...I drank tons of water beforehand and could've filled ten viles yesterday if I needed to so that was another huge blessing.  The last chemo day when it was just my daddy and I, he went back with me to have my port accessed and for the blood draws.  He saw the fear in my eyes when no blood would flow and when the nurse told me to start some deep breathing and coughing to help get it started, he thought I was in pain and it just worried him so.  He was tickled to know that this time was a piece of cake.  Water and prayers did the trick!  

J was with me every step of the way this time.  I missed him so much last week.  He's my candy getter, my bag carrier, my water, pillow, blanket monitor, and my heart and soul.  Today we took caramel popcorn to all of the staff at the cancer center to show how grateful we are to them.  From the secretaries, to the ladies in the lab, the nurses, doctors, and valet guys!  They are top knotch and we wanted them to know how thankful we are everyday for them, not just during this Thanksgiving season.   I wish I could do more for them, but a hug and some delicious caramel popcorn surely made their Friday a little sweeter!  

After treatment began and we were done with the scary   waiting period of the Taxol slowly being given, I was able to rest and fell asleep since I didn't any sleep on Thursday night again, due to the steroids.  The warm sun on my back, two of my favorite guys sitting near me, and after a foot massage, my eyes got heavy and I rested until the sweetest visitor walked into my room with the biggest smile!  Dr. Keith!!  I've mentioned her before on here but she's the wonderful doctor that I've gone to for years that brought Jett into this world.  She crawled up in my chair with me and gave me the sweetest hug that meant so much.  She's the one that told me the news of my cancer after fighting the battle herself not even 2 years ago.  She's been amazing during this whole trial, checking on me often, helping me choose doctors, answering tons of crazy questions when I call her, but also just easing my mind and seeing her bravery.  Walking alongside her at the fashion show was an honor just as it was to see her walk in the chemo pod yesterday.  She's a huge piece of the puzzle in God's masterpiece and I will praise Him because His works are wonderful.  

We have to remember that our Maker knew us inside and out before "one of them came to be".  Psalm 139:15-16 
We all have a purpose here on Earth!  Her purpose is BIG and tons love her as a doctor and as a wonderful person. 
So she left as the Taxol finished up, my nurse cut my hospital wristband off and I walked out of the center with the wildest and most appropriate shoes on my feet, and checked one more treatment off the list!  

My daddy likes to tell everyone that when treatments are over, they can't keep up with me going down the stairs, as I'm like a Tennessee walking horse-high stepping it out of that place like I'm on a mission.  I mean with fancy schmancy shoes like these who would'nt be running?  Nah!  I took the arm of my sweet J and carefully walked down the stairs with tons of gratefulness in my heart after a perfect treatment.  They take such good care of me but after a long day, I'm ready to be home. 

So this morning...after a good night's rest, I'm snuggled up by the tree, decaf coffee in hand (caffeine had to go-per doctor and nurses' ordered) and I'm enjoying a little bit of quiet/prayer/blogging time, thanking God for giving me strength, wisdom, love, and most of all courage. 
 
Love to all!  Remember to enjoy every single moment of this life God gave you.  Never be afraid to ask The Holy Spirit to fill you!  He will, as he's done for me many times.

Here are some upcoming prayer requests:
-5 more treatments 😁😁😁
-celebration day on December 22 as we celebrate NO MO CHEMO, HO Ho Ho (Christmas style)  around Jesus' statue at the cancer center with Santa and his elves!  All are welcome as we will ring the bells loudly and celebrate Jesus' upcoming birthday and wonderfulness!  Estimated time to be announced but will most like be around 4ish!  So dress warm and come celebrate!
-final MRI on December 28, praying for no residual cancer in my body
-surgeon visit on January 2 to set surgery date
-radiation to follow with 30 treatments
-the holiday season and that we never forget why we are celebrating 
-wellness for all and courage for those in many battles
-a sweet friend who will be having a mastectomy next week and those re-diagnosed that have been cancer free for years undergoing more surgery and chemo-my heart is just heavy right now for so many






signature

1 comment

Back to Top