Kindness matters!





I knew that I wanted to do something special for the radiation care team that has been taking care of me.  I’ve been seeing them now for 4 weeks and they truly are a breath of fresh air every morning that I walk into the dreaded radiation room.  We are always laughing about something or talking about our kids, but they truly lighten the mood each and every time.  



So yesterday I called Maple Street Biscuit Company and ordered a breakfast for them to enjoy since today was the end of a long, full work week.  I made sure that napkins, plates, and forks would be included and was excited about making the delivery.  I left home early enough to stop by the Five Forks location and as I was nearing the turn into the entrance, my phone rang, showing an odd number.  I answered it and spoke with Michael, who explained that he was calling from Maple Street to let me know that there wasn’t any parking spots on East North Street and that he could run my order out to me so I wouldn’t have to worry about parking.  I panicked.  East North Street!!!  What in the world had I done?  I made the to go order at the wrong location and there was no possible way I could make it all the way across town and then to my 8:30 radiation spot off Pelham.  Immediately he told me that it would be ok and that he’d call the Five Forks location, get the order in, and that it would be ready shortly. And it was.  I walked in, a sweet young guy helped me with coffee, told me the order would be ready in a few minutes, and then he asked me what the occasion was for.  And that’s when I lost it.  As I told him who it was for and how special they were to me during this leg of the journey, the tears started.  I just couldn’t get myself together, thinking about these 2 precious young men and how kind they were through this whole mix-up that was totally my fault. Never once were they snippy or batted an eye to make things ever so perfect.  The bag was packed with all utensils, they readied the food, and then this sweet fellow told me that he’d be praying for me.  I couldn’t leave without hugging him as I walked out of the door.  My heart was absolutely overflowing when I made it to my car and I still had 15 minutes until I needed to be at the Gibbs Center, after all that.  Whew!  God placed those fellows in my path on this early Friday morning adventure.  They didn’t know my story when I placed the order.  They didn’t think “aw, this girl had cancer, so let’s be nice to her”.  They dealt with this situation like Jesus would have, with loving hearts and a smile. They weren’t hateful or irritated, just compassionate and helpful.  And that meant so much to me.  And then to see the excitement from the ladies over a simple breakfast meal. That brought enough joy to my heart to last awhile. Kindness matters, y’all.  So I’ve mentioned this restaurant before, but now I know that it’s one of the best.  So if you happen to go to the East North Street location, ask for Michael or the Five Forks location, ask for Jordan.  


And hug them.  They are both great guys and ones that I will always remember.  

Radiation number 22 happened after all of this and like expected, my skin is beginning to burn.  It’s like a sunburn...you know how you feel like you didn’t get anything after a day at the beach?   And then BAM!  So I’m thankful for two days away from the rays of radiation and excited about a fun weekend ahead.  I was listening to MercyMe on the way this morning and their song “Burn, Baby Burn” came on.  Ha!  How appropriate.


  I’d never heard the song but it caught my attention. The lyrics say: “We shine cause we’ve been saved by grace.  We are the light, light of the world, light up the night, when will we learn? Now is our time, now is our turn, so burn, baby burn.” I’m literally burning now but must remember to light up the world and shine His light on others.  We never know what people are going through and He can use us to comfort them.  Seize the opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus and ask Him to open your eyes to the ones hurting around you.  I just know that you’ll find your love burning brighter and stronger when you do.  The guys today were on fire, as their flames shone bright!  So burn, baby burn. 

So for the weekend plans...my school chorus is singing the National Anthem tonight at the Greenville Drive game and I get to throw out the first pitch.  You would think that I’ve practiced since the Hillcrest game and not quite throwing it hard enough, but I haven’t had the chance.  So prayers that the ball will travel a little further.  This girl is so not athletic but I’m super excited to see lots of familiar faces from the school I love so and even some that I’ve taught in second grade.  Clemson’s Spring Game is on the agenda for tomorrow and that’s a must for our little tiger fan.  The Renfrow jersey is laid out and we can’t wait to see them play.  

Many people say that I’m constantly doing something or going somewhere and yes!  I’m bad about not slowing down but honestly, keeping my mind filled with happy thoughts helps keep me “raised up”.   And my complete trust is in God, as I just know he’s taking care of me.  And that’s comforting.  

Please join me in praying for a young lady that I haven’t met yet that was recently diagnosed.  I’ve been where she is right now, scared to death.  I’ve walked the path that she’s about to walk.  Psalm 40:2 states “He lifted me out of the ditch, pulled me from the deep mud.  He stood me up on a solid rock to make sure I wouldn’t slip.”  My hope for her is that she feels the hand of God doing just this, holding her tightly and preparing her for her journey.  

I’ve cannot end this post without sharing a great find that just happened to come across my Facebook feed last week.  So most of you know that I opted for no reconstruction after my bilateral mastectomy.  I feel that it was the best decision for me and haven’t regretted it one time since.  And I don’t think I will.  So yes, I wear prosthetics most of the time and am perfectly happy with that.  BUT...they can be heavy!  So when I saw these Knitted Knockers, I have to say, my heart skipped a beat.  The lady’s testimony who organized this wowed me and I immediately sent in my request for a pair.  The cool thing is they are FREE and since ladies all across the country knit these for this organization, they try to partner you up with someone local.  So Miss LuAnn in Anderson, thank you!  They are light weight and do just what I need them to do!  


I hope your weekend is full of fun.  This spring weather has me ready to plant some flowers and enjoy the sunshine.  
Love you all!  

“Praise the Lord.  Happy are those who fear the Lord.  They are not afraid of evil tidings; their hearts are firm, secure in the Lord.  Their hearts are steady, they will not be afraid.”  Psalm 112: 1,7-8




signature

1 comment

  1. Your strength is so inspiring! Continued prayers for a complete recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top